School Improvement Information
The Every Student Succeeds Act, or ESSA, the main federal law for K-12 public education, aims to ensure all children get a quality education. The law requires that states hold public schools accountable for how students achieve. ESSA does give states flexibility—their accountability systems can measure much more than just test scores.
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has established a new set of indicators to measure school performance. NYSED developed these indicators with the input of thousands of people statewide—parents, educators, and experts. The new indicators include:
- student academic achievement;
- student growth and school progress;
- progress of English language learners;
- chronic absenteeism; and
- for high schools, graduation rates and preparing students for college, career and civic engagement.
Schools and districts earned a score for all students and for student subgroups. Such subgroups include members of racial and ethnic groups, low-income students, students with disabilities and English language learners. These levels are used to determine whether a district is a Good Standing District or a Target District and whether a school is in Good Standing or identified for Comprehensive Support and Improvement or Targeted Support and Improvement.
The Green Island Union Free School District has been named a Target District (TD) and Heatly School has been named a Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) school. Learn more about the state's accountability designations.
Please note that Green Island UFSD has been approved by New York State to take part in a Pilot Program for the 2021-22 school year, allowing the School Comprehensive Education Plan to also serve as the District Comprehensive Education Plan.
- 2022-23 School Comprehensive Education Plan (SCEP)
- 2021-22 School Comprehensice Education Plan (SCEP)
- 2021-22 School Comprehensive Education Plan SCEP): Mid-Year Update
- 2020-21 District Comprehensive Improvement Plan (DCIP)
- 2020-21 SCEP ESSA Indicators
Survey Results and Analysis/Benchmark Report